restricted save issue

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

librarymactech
Contributor
Contributor

restricted save issue

Post by librarymactech »

I am trying to set the restriced save option to save to floppies and usb keys. when I enable the restricted save fuction, the save as... option in the menu doesn't work. Here is the syntax:

[RestrictedSave]
EnableRestrictedSave=True
SaveToDrives=ADEF
AM I doin something wrong.

PS I am using the latest version of PWB

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The restricted save was removed from PWB v2.05 and replaced with an external application. To get the restricted save functionality, download the ManageDL/TDownload application from our download page, and setup TDownload. Please note ManageDL will work with most web pages except for Web Based email file attachments, TDownload will work for the Save As.

[RestrictedSave]
EnableRestrictedSave=True
RestrictedSaveApp=C:\Your path\TDownload.exe

ManageDL and TDownload will give the same functionality as the restricted save in previous versions of PWB.

--Scott

Eric Gustafson

ManageDL/Tdownload

Post by Eric Gustafson »

As of 28Oct04, I cannot find the apps mentioned. Were these inadvertently taken away from your downloads page?

Eric Gustafson » gustafsone@lanecc.edu
Library Computer Support Technician
Lane Community College

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

They were taken away because they were concepts and not 100% reliable. We are currently working on a new solution.

If you want to take a look at the old system here is a link.

http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/beta/ManageDL.zip

--Scott

Laguz

Soon???

Post by Laguz »

I really hope you come up with a solution soon. We are still 2 revisions behind, and without the ability to do a restricted save, it really isn't a complete product anymore.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You will get the same functionality in the newer PWB versions as the restricted save in the older versions of PWB using ManageDL. We just moved it to an external function.

You can also use Windows policies to restrict the IE save.
http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/ph ... c.php?t=17

--Scott

Laguz

my computer

Post by Laguz »

Thank you. I did manage to get the same function using group policy. Is there a way to make the default save location come up to "My Computer" instead of a specific drive? That way, they can choose any drive directly, regardles of what media they are using.

Eric Gustafson

managedl / tdownload

Post by Eric Gustafson »

Are there any user-registry requirements? Using 206b2 on XPpro-sp2, if the user is an admin then the dialog appears fine and shows access to A: and E: (e: for usb), but when I switch that user back to the users group then tdownload says it cannot read the registry settings (dialog box notifies for each setting).

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

TDownload currently opens the following registry keys for read/write.

HKEY_LOCAL_COMPUTER\Software\TeamSoftware Solutions\TDownload
...Drives
...Button1
...Title
...DriveError
...BadFileName
...DownloadOk
...FileExt

The ManageDL is not 100% effective and is no longer being developed. We are currently working on a better solution for restricted saving.

--Scott

Magicvoice

Restricting download/save through group policy

Post by Magicvoice »

I did manage to get the same function using group policy. Is there a way to make the default save location come up to "My Computer" instead of a specific drive? That way, they can choose any drive directly, regardles of what media they are using.
Can you provide more details about what you did with your group policy? I'm still tweaking my group policies and would love to know what you did. Right now I've got library users inadvertently saving their documents to the desktop instead of their removeable media.

Thanks!