How to activate browser timer

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

librarymactech
Contributor
Contributor

How to activate browser timer

Post by librarymactech »

I am just wondering how do i activate and set the browser time limit. we want the users to be able to use the borwser for only 15minutes then the browser shuts down or restarts. Thanks

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Enable the activity timer, set the time, and the exit action. Then set PWB to restart on close.

[Activity]
ActivityTimer=True
ActivitySeconds=900
ActivityAction=Exit

[Security]
RestartOnClose=True

This will have PWB run for 15 minutes, exit and restart.

--Scott

tsaman
Participant
Participant

activity timer

Post by tsaman »

Hello--

Staff want to create an "express" Internet station that patrons could use for only 15 minutes. My first thought was to use the actvity timer. However, if we do that, and someone uses the browser for 5 minutes, walks away, and another patron starts using without restarting, won't that user get bumped off when the 15 minutes (or what ever time) runs out?

How do you deal with this? Do you post a sign asking that patrons restart the browser when beginning a session?

--mike
Michael J. Dargan
Technical Systems Administrator
Waterloo and Cedar Falls Public Libraries

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

We allow our patrons to close the browser and have it set to clear the cache on close and restart. If you encourage your patrons to close the browser when they are finished, the next patron will have a "fresh" browser with a new time limit.

--Scott

librarymactech
Contributor
Contributor

Post by librarymactech »

we just have a notice on our internet express statins asking them to log off when they are done, we have autologon turned on.