For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

PWB not using the Proxy

Post by jfrasier »

We are using PWB 10.204.

Our reservation software governs whether or not the computer uses a proxy for filtering. I just checked one and when I log onto the reservation software and check the registry, the proxy server is set properly. However if I try to run PWB it seems to NOT be going to the proxy as it is not filtering.

I also edited the .ini file with the proper lines in the [Proxy] section. Again the registry shows that the proxyserver is correct, but when running PWB it is not. However I can run IE6 and it filters fine. I copied the altered .ini to the c:\ drive and altered the path to pwb and that filters.

Here is the path we use to start pwb:

c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2\pwb.exe /INI="c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2\pwb.ini" /URLINI=http://jefferson.lib.co.us/******/*****.***

I am 99.9% sure that I have had computers set up this way in the past and in my testing. We have had some DNS issues lately. Could that have an effect? I don't believe that these computers are having browsing problems.

Help.

Jane

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

I did some more careful testing this morning.

In our reservation software this group of computers is setup to filter. When ythe user logs on it makes them pick filtered even though the only choice is filtered. We discovered that if we altered HKLM|Software|Telus|Timeout|ProxyEnable=0 that they would not have to pick. This worked fine with version 2.09 of PWB.

However in PWB 2.10 it doesn't. Apparently the ProxyEnable=0 in the LocalMachine part of the registry overrides reservation software's instruction to filter. I realize that we made the change in another software, but since it worked with version 2.09 I am wondering if you can figure out how to make it work in version 2.104.

Thanks.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Are you using this portion of the INI file?

[Proxy]
UseCustom=False
ProxyEnable=
ProxyServer=
ProxyOverride=
AutoConfigURL=

This sets the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key. I belive this takes precidence over the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE if the HKEY_CURRENT_USER is more restrictive.

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

The path to PWB directs the application to find the .ini file on a webserver. Since the reservation software directs these computers to our proxy I didn't think that this section of the .ini would matter. It is set to:

[Proxy]
UseCustom=False
ProxyEnable=
ProxyServer=
ProxyOverride=
AutoConfigURL=

When that didn't work I made another .ini file that I used for these computers with these proxy settings:

[Proxy]
UseCustom=TRUE
ProxyEnable=TRUE
ProxyServer=198.59.31.26:80
ProxyOverride=
AutoConfigURL=

That doesn't work either unless I copy the second .ini file to the c:\ drive and edit the path to use c:\. This defeats the idea of only having the .inis for the whole system in one place.

Odd.

Thanks.
Jane

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What is the entire Taget line or command line that you are using to start PWB?

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2\pwb.exe /INI="c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2\pwb.ini" /URLINI=http://jefferson.lib.co.us/******/*****.*** (or *********.***)

We have to use
c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2\pwb.exe /ini="c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2\10pwbfilter.ini"

to make it work.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Using this command line:
c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2\pwb.exe /INI="c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2\pwb.ini" /URLINI=http://jefferson.lib.co.us/******/*****.***
PWB will copy the file "******.***" from the web server over the "pwb.ini" file in the "c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2" folder.

I beleive because PWB has already estabilished an Internet connection to download the file, that it is using this connection instead of opening a new connection via the proxy server. We are checking into this.

You may want to take a look at the Proxy Choice application if you are trying to give users a choice of using the proxy or not. This application was developed for this specific usage.

http://www.teamsoftwaresolutions.com/fi ... Choice.zip

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

That is perplexing to me because the workstation is identified in the reservation sofware as one that should go through the proxy. Maybe that setting doesn't happen until PWB is launched, but I would think that the registry entry would happen right after the users logs on to the computer via the reservation software. They get a menu that then they would choose PWB (with the path above)

Jane

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

Scott -- have you figured out anything new with this?

Jane

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It definately appears that the proxy needs to be set before PWB starts, or PWB needs to be restarted in order to use the proxy. The only way around this is to use a program such as ProxyChoice, or to edit the Windows Registry directly to set the proxy before PWB starts.

--Scott