Problem installing AutoRestart on WinXP

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Jaysun
Provider
Provider

Problem installing AutoRestart on WinXP

Post by Jaysun »

I have sucessfully used AutoRestart with PWB on Windows 98. Now I am trying to install AutoRestart on WinXP and running into some problems. When I first run the AutoRestart installer, I receive the following message:

"Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system. Click OK if you would like setup to update these files for you now. You will need to restart Windows before you can run setup again. Click cancel to exit setup without updating system files."

I click OK to update the files and reboot. When I try to run the installer after the reboot, I recive the following message:

"The application or DLL C:\Windows\System32\VBSTKIT.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

I click OK on that message and it pops up a couple more times and then I get a different message that states:

"Cannot start main setup program! (CreateProcess() returned error code 0x000000C1H)"

Any ideas what's wrong, or how to get AutoRestart installed on WinXP? If not, are there any free replacements for AutoRestart? Runapp.exe from the WinNT 4.0 Zero Administration Kit does not seem to work on XP.

Thanks!
Jason Weinstein
Application Support Technicain
Eugene Public Library
Eugene, OR

Jaysun
Provider
Provider

Problem Fixed

Post by Jaysun »

After many tries I have resolved the problem. In case this happens to anyone else, this is what I did:

Deleted Autorestart.cab and St6unst.exe from C:\Windows
Deleted VB6STKIT.DLL (size was 0K) from C:\Windows\System32
Deleted all files/folders from system and user Temp folders
Tried installing Autorestart and got further than before, but received
"not a valid Windows image" error for ebcrypt.dll, mscomctl.ocx, ntsvc.ocx, and systray.ocx
Went into C:\Windows\System32 and found those 4 files (size of each was 0K) and deleted them.
Opened Autorestart.cab, extracted vb6stkit.dll, ebcrypt.dll, mscomctl.ocx, and ntsvc.ock and copied them into C:\Windows\System32

Autorestart then sucessfully installed.
Jason Weinstein
Application Support Technicain
Eugene Public Library
Eugene, OR