Proxy Setting Not taking effect right away

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

AnthonyM
Provider
Provider

Proxy Setting Not taking effect right away

Post by AnthonyM »

I have two shortcuts to PWB on my patron computers. One uses an INI with a proxy, the other uses an INI with the proxy disabled. When I use the shortcut with the proxy disabled, after the one with it enabled, PWB still uses the proxy. But if I then close and reopen PWB with the proxy disable shortcut, the proxy is off. It is almost like the setting is changed, but doesn’t take effect until after the browser is closed and reopened. It is not a cache issue, because I try viewing sites I have not been to. Here are my settings:

PROXY ON:
[Proxy]
UseCustom=True
ProxyEnable=True
ProxyServer=10.42.10.254:2784
ProxyOverride=
AutoConfigURL=

PROXY OFF (Tried Both):
[Proxy]
UseCustom=True
ProxyEnable=FALSE
ProxyServer=
ProxyOverride=
AutoConfigURL=

[Proxy]
UseCustom=True
ProxyEnable=True
ProxyServer=
ProxyOverride=
AutoConfigURL=

Workstations: Windows XP SP2, IE7

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What version of PWB are you using?

The Proxy settings in the INI file manipulate the Internet Explorer proxy settings via the Registry. Whatever proxy, including none, is in use when PWB starts the Internet Explorer engine is what will be in effect until the Internet Explorer engine is released and restarted.

If you do not close one before the other the fisrt one will still be in effect. The changing of the proxy needs to be done before PWB starts. This is what the setting does in the INI file, but if you try to run two different settings at the same time you will see this type of behavior.

--Scott

AnthonyM
Provider
Provider

Post by AnthonyM »

I'm running 2.10. I fully close out of one before opening the other, even reboot between launches, but it doesn't help. If I start PWB with the proxy enabled, I have to start the one with it disabled twice before it is really disabled.