Disabling alt-ctrl-del

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

wgragg
Participant
Participant

Disabling alt-ctrl-del

Post by wgragg »

I need to disable alt-ctrl-del for PWB, but only for a particular user. I can disable most of the functions of it with Gpedit.msc (Windows XP), but whenever I make the change, it applies to the administrative user also. Is there any way to disable the three finger salute in XP for just the user that is running PWB?

I am running it in kiosk mode, but not as the shell.

Thanks,

Wendell

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You can set the following registry keys to disable the Windows Security dialog buttons on a per user basis.

HKCU or HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

DisableLockWorkstation
DisableChangePassword
DisableTaskMgr

HKCU or HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoLogoff
NoClose

Thess are all DWORD values with 1 policy enabled or button disabled and 0 being policy disabled or button enabled.

--Scott

wgragg
Participant
Participant

Post by wgragg »

Thanks Scott, but looking down that registry key, I don't see a user identity. Am I missing something?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The easiest way to set the keys is to make the user an administrator, logon as the user, create the keys, the move the user back to a user.

Otherwise you will have to look through the HKEY_USERS key and pick the right user.

--Scott

wgragg
Participant
Participant

Post by wgragg »

Ahh, gotcha. One would think that MS would make that a little bit easier! I was wondering if that was the case, but just couldn't believe that they would be that kludgy. Silly me.

Is there anyway to disable the shutdown part of the ctrl-alt-del menu? If patrons can shutdown the computer, they will.

Thanks, Wendell

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

If you set the NoClose key to 1 the shutdown button will be disabled.

PWB actually had this functionlity built in until we discovered it was not going to work becuase users only have read access to the keys.

--Scott