Repeatedly asked to login

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

AnthonyM
Provider
Provider

Repeatedly asked to login

Post by AnthonyM »

I'm having a problem with Optonline webmail, Ameritrade, Hofstra Webmail, and possiblely AOL webmail. The patron submits their login info, but is then asked to logon again. There is no error message, its almost like the first attempt didn't register. The patron can continue to attempt to logon till the cows come home, but is always just given another prompt. None of these open a new window or have any popups. Any ideas?

-Anthony

EDIT: These sites work fine on other computers running IE.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What version of PWB are you using?

--Scott

AnthonyM
Provider
Provider

PWB Version

Post by AnthonyM »

I'm using PWB 2.09.

AnthonyM
Provider
Provider

Sorry... PWB wasn't the cause

Post by AnthonyM »

:oops:

After a lot of troubleshooting and some dumb luck, I found the cause of the problem. Its has nothing to do with PWB. I can post our solution if anyone is interested, but it was an really obscure problem relating to IE (firefox worked fine), our firewall (NATing stations to external addresses) and one of our ISPs (Possibly caching).

I hope I didn't take up too much of your time.

Anthony

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Just for future reference, if it is not to location specific, what was the problem and solution?

--Scott

AnthonyM
Provider
Provider

Solution... which makes almost no sense

Post by AnthonyM »

Well, I'm sure most people who read this will doubt the solution, but here goes.
At my library we have 2 ISPs, Verizon DSL and a library consortium. Yesterday the consortium went down so I moved all the traffic over the to the DSL line. Huzza, Webmail works! But why? The consortium came back up, so I switched us back over to bandwidth sharing. Webmail dies again, but only on the public stations. The only difference between staff and public stations in the firewall is most staff stations are NAT'd to external IP addresses for our licensing of our catalog system. So I added a static NAT to one of the Internet stations. Huzza it works! Now for the twist, Firefox worked before it was NAT'd. And both Firefox and PWB worked when going through the DSL connection.

Kind of reminds me of a planetary alignment. The user had to be using IE, or PWB, on a non-NAT'd PC, going threw our consortium ISP for internet access, for this problem to occur. I'd be amazed if anyone else ever has this problem, but you never know.