manageIE and setpwb

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

sraymond
Contributor
Contributor

manageIE and setpwb

Post by sraymond »

Hi I have been reading the posts on blocking access to IE through other applications, in our case, it's Word. Patrons can click on a link in a Word doc and open IE. We, too would prefer PWB open. I have downloaded ManageIE from the beta directory and SetPWB from the Downloads directory. I have unzipped then and I _believe_ I have installed them, too. I have checked the registry and the modifications described in the readme files seem to have been made, but still IE is opening. For what it's worth I am doing all this in an administrative account. I am confused. To stop IE from opening and force PWB to open, should I be using one or both of these? What step am I missing? appreciatively, -smr
-smray

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

SetPWB sets PWB as the default browser. This does not prevnet applications from opening Internet Explorer directly.

ManageIE will prevent Internet Explorer from opening.

To get PWB to open instead of PWB merge the "ManageIE.reg" file into your Windows Registry by double clicking on it. You will have to be logged on as an Adminstrator for the file to be merged.

After merging the "ManageIE.reg" file into your registry, open REGEDIT and and change the following value to "1".

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TeamSoftware Solutions\ManageIE]
OpenPWBToURL

This will cause ManageIE to open PWB when an application attempts to navigate to a web site.

--Scott

sraymond
Contributor
Contributor

Excellant!

Post by sraymond »

ManageIE is now accomplishing exactly what I'd hoped it would! Thanks Scott! Now, however as a result of my blind flailings to stop IE from opening, I have setPWB to run in the network admini account. Now that ManageIE is doing the trick, I don't think I will need setPWB at all. How can I uninstall or modify the registry so that setPWB is no longer functioning? thanks a bunch! -smr
-smray

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

All SetPWB does is to modify the registry for the current user to set PWB as the default. If you want IE to be the default web browser for the current user, run IE and let it set itself back.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284456

--Scott

sraymond
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sraymond »

But how do I get IE to run when there is nothing on the desktop if I close PWB, start menu is inaccessible. PWB is off and Fortres, too. Can I edit the registry from the local admin account?
-smray

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The changes made are account specific. If you do not want IE to run for the profile, then leaving the changes will not hurt and will probably help.

--Scott

sraymond
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sraymond »

The problem is I DO want IE to run in this account, it's the network admin. How do I stop setPWB from running in that account? appreciativley, -smr
-smray

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Do not run SetPWB from where you are running it, logon as the user and run Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer will see it is not the current browser and reset itself.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284456

--Scott

sraymond
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sraymond »

The problem is I cannot get IE to run in that account. The question is how do I stop setPwb from running, it seems to start automatically. I am ready to reformat the darned machine.
-smray

sraymond
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sraymond »

Problem solved. I deleted the network admin account as well as its entire directory in Docs and Settings. Then I created an entirely new Network admin account. phew
-smray

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

SetPWB does not run unless you are running it from somewhere. The settings it makes are to the few registry locations to associate PWB as the default web browser. Running Internet Explorer by clicking directly on the Internet Explorer shortcut or EXE will run Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer will reset itself to the default web browser.

Or you can delete the profile and let Windows recreate it as well.

--Scott