Ugrade

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

cpl

Ugrade

Post by cpl »

We are haing a lot of trouble since we upgraded from pwb 1.x. Our PC's are freexing several times a day. This usually happens in yahoo or when patrons are playing games like runescape. We are hoping to upgrade 1000+ PC's to 2.05 r2. Is it possible to just push the pwb.exe and pwb.ini files? Or do I have to run the msi?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You do not need to run the MSI file, you can push PWB (the EXE, INI, and the supporting files) to the computers. The only thing the installer does is copies the files to the desired location and creates the Start Menu shortcuts.

What version of PWB is freezing, and what version of Windows and Internet Explorer and you running PWB with?

--Scott

cpl

Post by cpl »

We are using PWB v2.05 v1, win2k and IE6 fully patched. We think it is a memory issue because the pc didn't freeze when we increase the RAM. One would think 128 is enough for a pc that does nothing but surf the web, but I guess not. Thanks.

Philip - Long Beach NY
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Philip - Long Beach NY »

CPL,
If you are running windows 2000 believe me 128mb of ram is not enough, IMHO. I have at least 256 on my public pc's that are running XP, but don't forget windows needs (I forget exactly how much) a big chunk of that just to load itself. After that what is left over is for Apps to load. If it is a hardware issue (as you said RAM), a good memory tester is called DocMem, which you can get here, it's free. http://www.simmtester.com/. It will let you know if a stick or two is faulty.

Hope this helps,

Phil
Complexity is the enemy of security
-- Steve Gibson

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

We're running Windows XP on brand new Dells, 2.8Ghz Pentium 4's with 512MBs of RAM - and it's no faster than my 1.5Ghz Athlon XP system at home, running Windows 2000 with 512MBs RAM. If I had the money, I'd have at least twice that amount in my home system, if not more.

IMHO 512MB is now the bare minimum when it comes to memory.

Might want to check for things like ad/spyware on those PCs, just a thought.