Cached logins to websites

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Alex Weeks
Observer
Observer

Cached logins to websites

Post by Alex Weeks »

Some parts of our Library system require a user to login (LDAP authentication) :?: . We have found that the logins are cached, and the next user to use the system is not interrogated for a password.

We have tried to solve this by clearing the cache each time the browser returns to the home page after reducing both the inactivity and activity timeouts, but the login still remains. The only working solution has been to restart the browser on returning to home, but as we have DisableExit=True, the browser is not exited, and instead, another instance is started.

We do not want the users to be able to get to the machine, and using PWB as the shell is no longer a viable option (we used to do, but don't any longer as we need to login to get network updates from our servers).

I am now thinking about using the HideGUI app, but am wondering if you can suggest any other solutions.

Thanks,

Alex.

Library and Learning Resources,
LCC, University of the Arts London

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Alex,

The HideGUI application ran from the Windows Registry is an excellent way of running PWB without the Windows GUI and I now usually recommend this over running PWB as the shell.

We setup HideGUI and PWB to run from the HKEY_CURRENT_USER Run key. We configure PWB to clear cache on close, exit on inactivity, restart on close, have Close PWB as a Shellbar button, and we encourage our patrons to close the browser when finished.

We have been running this way on several systems and have had excellent results.

--Scott

jpapier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jpapier »

Scott,

What are the advantages of using HideGUI versus running PWB as the shell?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff Papier
Senior Network Librarian
South Brunswick Public Library
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852

jpapier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jpapier »

....in addition to easier access to GUI when needed, reconnection for wireless Internet access... and more? Very curious, as we've been using SetPWB for some time. Thanks. JP
Jeff Papier
Senior Network Librarian
South Brunswick Public Library
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Nothing is really wrong with using SetPWB to run PWB as the shell, and it does work very well.

However, there is a problem with IE and thus PWB, when being run as the Windows shell that will leave an About:Blank window open when a web site opens a pop-up with About:Blank and navigates to a new URL. There can also be a problem with web sites and pop-up windows when the site uses ASP or Java to find other windows through Explorer the normal Windows shell.

--Scott

Alex Weeks
Observer
Observer

Post by Alex Weeks »

Scott,

I've been away and just tested HideGUI. Using PWB and the automatic restart option seems to be the answer for us, but I can still see the GUI when I exit PWB (for about a second while PWB is restarting). Running HideGUI by itself hides the Windows desktop initially, but it comes right back when you exit PWB. Am I doing something wrong?

Additionally, how do I create a shellbar icon to exit the program?

Thanks,

Alex.

carylib
Observer
Observer

Post by carylib »

Hi,
My problem is related to the previous post, but I'm asking for a different type of solution. It was recently pointed out to us by a patron that the "backspace" key in our OPACs (using PWB 2.08 in kiosk) returns the user to the previous page. Which can be handy, but if a patron doesn't close IE, there is the potential for the next patron to hit "backspace" and see the previous person's library card number. (My research so far has revealed that this is a feature of IE 6 and Firefox 1.0.x.)

I see that it is possible on our OPACs since my Public Web Browser uses IE 6's settings. And I had removed the Back button on the kiosk OPACs to avoid this very thing!

Using PWB in a non-kiosk mode isn't really an option, and patrons don't always exit the catalog anyway.

Does anyone know of a way to disable this "backspace" feature in IE so that it will also be disabled in PWB?
I am hesitant to add another layer (more software) on top of PWB and DisableWindows GUI...
----------------------------
M. Donovan
Cary Memorial Library
Lexington, MA

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You need to disable both the back button and the view go back menu item, wether or not the toolbar or menu bar are showing, to disable the back space key as the back button shortcut.

[Buttons]
Back=False

[MenuItems]
ViewGotoBack=False

This works for all shortcut keys.
http://teamsoftwaresolutions.com/phpBB2 ... .php?t=261

--Scott

carylib
Observer
Observer

Post by carylib »

Thank you, Scott!
I had thought that two settings would do the trick; hadn't seen the "ViewBackButtonMenu" as something I needed to set "False."
All is fine now.
M. Donovan
Cary Memorial Library
Lexington, MA

removablebrain
Participant
Participant

Post by removablebrain »

I've been away and just tested HideGUI. Using PWB and the automatic restart option seems to be the answer for us, but I can still see the GUI when I exit PWB (for about a second while PWB is restarting). Running HideGUI by itself hides the Windows desktop initially, but it comes right back when you exit PWB. Am I doing something wrong?
I am having this same issue. Everything is working perfectly aside from when the browser restarts, I can see the desktop, startmenu, taskbar, etc.

Thanks

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Run the stand alone HideGUI from the Windows Registry run key. This will run HideGUI before PWB and the PWB restart will not affect it.

Check out this thread.
http://teamsoftwaresolutions.com/phpBB2 ... .php?t=536

--Scott

removablebrain
Participant
Participant

Post by removablebrain »

My setup is configured this way.

I use your login script example at the bottom of the thread. I'll keep testing... Regardless, thanks for an execellent product

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Are you still seeing the Desktop when PWB exits when HideGUI is ran from the Registry?

Make sure you are not using the PWB DisablesWindowsGUI add-on when using HideGUI from the Registry.

--Scott

removablebrain
Participant
Participant

Post by removablebrain »

Ah....that was the key....thanks!!!