For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Gregg E
Observer
Observer

Inactivity timer constantly resets

Post by Gregg E »

Hello,

We are using PWB 2.09 now on one PC running as a kiosk, running fine for about a year. We use the inactivity timer to return to the home page after 5 minutes of idle time. Here are our current inactivity settings:

[Inactivity]
InactivityTimer=True
InactivitySeconds=540
InactivityMessageTitle=Warning
InactivityMessageFile=C:\Program Files\TeamSoftware Solutions\Public Web Browser v2\Inactivity.txt
InactivityAction=Home
InactivitySoundFile=
InactivityStartOnOpen=False
InactivityShowDialog=True
ResetOnMouseMove=True
ResetOnMouseButton=True
ResetOnKeyboard=True

Recently we changed the home page setting to our new Intranet site. The problem now is that the inactivity timer fires up as soon as the home page comes up, and then it cycles down, goes back to the home page, starts over and so on, eventually running itself out of memory and causing the graphics/screen painting to fall apart. Closing and restarting PWB clears it, but then the timer starts all over again. Obviously there is something about the home page that is tricking the inactivity timer into thinking it has moved to another page. I saw a thread in the forums about changing ResetOnMouseButton to false to perhaps get around this. In the browser section we also changed to MinimizeMemoryUsage=True based on a forum hit. No luck. Here is the only clue (such as it is.) The folks who developed our intranet say that when you hit the home page you are actually redirected to what they call a ‘virtual page’ (within the same website on the same server here in-house.) We tried setting the home page in the PWB.INI to the redirected address that the developers gave us, as in www.ourcompany.com/switchesgo here but that didn’t help. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

When using the PWB timers, any type of navigation will cause the timers to start because PWB can not determine if the navigation was cause by the user or the web page. This includes any redirection, or refreshing of the web page, and can also be caused by ad rotation.

You can get around this by telling PWB to only start the timers when the keyboard or mouse button is depressed.

[Browser]
StartTimersOnMouseKeyboard=True

Although it has nothing to do with the timers, you may also want to consider using an "exit" action for the timer and have PWB restart on close. This will give PWB a chance to clean up the IE memory and cache between usage.

Another setting that may be benficial is the following to minimize the IE usage of memory.

[Browser]
MinimizeMemoryUsage=True

--Scott

Gregg E
Observer
Observer

Post by Gregg E »

Oh man, I almost thought we had it there. We had missed the StartTimersOnMouseKeyboard=True setting so we set that per your suggestion. Now when PWB starts it goes to our home page and the inactivity timer does NOT start, so we thought we were all set. Unfortunatly the first time you go off the home page and then sit idle, the timer starts (as it should) and returns you to the home page and then starts the countdown again, just as described in our original post. We tried the ResetOnMouseButton=False setting as mentioned in the original post, but N/G. Any ideas appreciated. Worst case is we just change the home page to a different site and make our new Intranet site the only favorite. (Remember, this only happens on our new site.) Thanks.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Try using "exit" instead of "home" for the inactivity action, and set restart on close to true. Home navigates to the home page and if the home page navigates it will start the timer. The start on keyboard mouse only affects PWB when it is started.

--Scott

carylib
Observer
Observer

INI v. 2.08 and the inactivity timer problem

Post by carylib »

Hi,
I just read the messages in this topic and wonder if I can solve this constantly-resetting-inactivity-timer problem using INI 2.08. I don't see the StartTimersOnMouseKeyboard setting in 2.08. So should I upgrade to 2.09?
Thanks,
M. Donovan
Cary Memorial Library
Lexington, MA

carylib
Observer
Observer

Update on our inactivaity timeout problem

Post by carylib »

Hi,
I went ahead and updated our ini file to 2.09 and set "StartTimersOnMouseKeyboard" to "True." However, the iniactivity timer is still starting when PWB opens and exiting/restarting on timeout. I'd like it to begin ONLY when the mouse or keyboard are used.
I've also set "resetonmousemove" to true, "resetonmousebutton" to true, and "resetonkeyboard" to true.
Thanks,
M. Donovan
Cary Memorial Library
Lexington, MA

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What is the URL address of your home page?

--Scott

carylib
Observer
Observer

Post by carylib »

Actually, this one is fixed. I realized that I did not have the 2.1.0 browser installed. Once I did that, the 2.1.0 ini did its job.
M. Donovan
Cary Memorial Library
Lexington, MA