.ini on a network server not being seen

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I only suggest putting a web server on the ONE Windows XP computer you are trying to use as a file server.

jfrasier:
When I was testing 2.10 by running the .exe and the .ini on a server I ran into problems, and it turns out that the 'server' I was using was really an XP workstation
Scott:
I suggested installing Apache (a Free Web Server for Windows) on your current Window XP computer you are trying to use to share the INI file, as a means to get around the 10 connection limitation on Windows XP. This would incure no more bandwidth issues then you would have sharing the INI file through a Windows share, and would get around the 10 conneciton limitation on the same computer.
You can put it on your main library server as an alternative. Of course if you have your one Windows XP web server, all the libraries may be able to get it from there as well. You may want to work with your Network Administrator to set this up. There may be a file server on your network that you can use to share the INI file from.

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

In order to use the .ini from a webserver, is version 2.10 required? I am running 2.09 and when I use the line …\PWB.exe /INI=”Other.INI” /URLINI=http://www.web.com/PWB.INI I get an error about the .ini being the wrong version but if I copy the .ini from the webserver to the computer where I am running pwb.exe it works fine.

Jane

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

If you are using the following:

\PWB.exe /INI=”Other.INI” /URLINI=http://www.web.com/PWB.INI

PWB is looking for an INI file called "Other.ini" in the same folder as the PWB.EXE file. Change the command line to the following.

\PWB.exe /INI=”PWB.INI” /URLINI=http://www.web.com/PWB.INI

With this, PWB will look for an INI file called "PWB.INI" when it starts.

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

Duh. Plus I learned that I need the full path to the .ini file eventhough the whole path is there for the .exe. Thanks.

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

It is now working with this path:
c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2\pwb.exe /INI="c:\program files\teamsoftware solutions\Public web browser v2\pwb.ini" /URLINI=http://jefferson.lib.co.us/pwbfiles/pwb.ini

Now my question is about the shellbar folder. Can I have it on the websever also? I tried ShellBarFolder=http://jefferson.lib.co.us/pwbfiles/ShellBar but nothing appeared on the shellbar.

If I leave the shellbar on that shared XP computer won't I still run into the problem of more than 10 connections at a time?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Currently the shellbar folder can not be pulled from a web server, and if you use a Windows XP comuter as a server to house the shellbar folder you will run into the 10 conection limit.

It may be easier to "push" the files when changing your configuration then to "pull" it. If all the computers are Windows XP and you hane Administrative rights on the compiuters, you can connect to the hidden administrative share (C$) through the nework are copy the files to the computers via a batch file.

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

Scott, it seems to be working. I wrote a batch file to push the current shellbar folder and tried it at one library. Then I copied the .ini to our webserver that we use for our intranet and portions of our library website and am using it successfully at one library.

I am going to try it at one of the really busy libraries that has had a problem before.

Jane

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You know, if you are pushing the Shellbar folder, you could also push the INI file as well and eliminate the web server INI file.

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

I just did that as a one time thing. I had to thaw Deep Freeze and push the files and then thaw it again. I don't know if I want to run a script to copy the .ini file everytime someone new logs in and if I was running the script to our XP computer I would think I would run into that 10 connection limit.

Thanks.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Deep Freeze does present a problem when trying to implement a dynamic system. I guess if you want to pull files from a location you will need to implement a Windows Server to get past the 10 connection limit with Windows XP. Other wise, can you leave a folder un-frozen with Deep Freeze? This would allow you to push to the single folder that is not frozen.

--Scott