Publisher could not be verified

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

Laguz

Publisher could not be verified

Post by Laguz »

I keep get the message

The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?

Name PWB.exe
Publisher: Unknown Publisher

This happens with v 2.05 r3, on WinXP with SP2
I know I could remove SP2 and it should work fine, but is there anyway I can correct this? Maybe with group policy or something?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Uncheck the box that says "Always ask before opening this file".

Or:

Right-click the PWB.exe file, select properties. On the general tab, click the unblock button.

--Scott

Laguz

unblocking

Post by Laguz »

Uncheck the box that says "Always ask before opening this file".
I tried this and it didn't seem to make a difference (it still asked every time I ran the program), though that may have to do with the security we have setup. I will have to look into it more.

Or:

Right-click the PWB.exe file, select properties. On the general tab, click the unblock button.
We are running it off a Win2000 server. I didn't see that option on the server. Also is there anything I can do to automaticly take care of it on every PC, instead of hitting every pc in the building?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I will have to look into it further. This is a security feature of Windows XP SP2 that will need to addressed on the individual machine and not on the server.

--Scott

Laguz

Solved

Post by Laguz »

OK! I got it fixed.
When I first tried to click the unblock, I was doing it from the server itself (where we run PWB.exe from), which is Win2k and does not have that option.
When I came in this morning, I tried it again by browsing to the file from my WinXP machine, with SP2. Sure enough, the button was there, so I clicked it and clicked ok.
It must have changed the actual attributes of the file, because when I went to a different PC that was having trouble before this, it worked fine, without prompting. I tried a second PC to be certain and it was ok there.
So making that change on the server file, cleared it for all the PCs.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »