For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

jscheib_TS
Observer
Observer

Blocking file://{servername}

Post by jscheib_TS »

Hi,

I am running PWB Version 2.05 revision 2 (09-21-04)

I am trying to block access to the file system using file://. Here is an excerpt of my URL.TXT file:
-all
+Javascript
+.macromedia.com
+.gov
+http://insidenewberlin

As you can see, I have completely restricted the sites that can be visited.

This computer is connected to our Windows Domain and thus, if Windows Explorer were running, would have access to the various servers on the domain.

Based on the above excerpt, the following is denied access:
file:///C:/
which works on an unrestricted Internet Explorer.

But -- the following does work
file://abbntmke04/apps/utilities/hr_kiosk
(abbntmke04 is one of the servers on our network)
I can put any server in that address.

For now, I am using the OnlyAccessHTTP parameter.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Since this is only an excerpt from your URL filter file, I am guessing there is a line in the file that would match and all access to the LAN resource.

Is there a reason why you would want to use the Only Access HTTP setting?

--Scott

jscheib_TS
Observer
Observer

Post by jscheib_TS »

Hi Scott,

The only reason that I am using the Only Access HTTP setting is so that the file://{servername} is prohibited. Once this problem is fixed, I will set that back to false.

In looking at the URL file again, I see that you are correct. There is a common sequence of characters that appears in all of our server names and is also part of a series of web sites. I made the sequence more specific in the web sites list and it now denies access.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and reminding me that I need to be careful how I define the URL's!!

Jim.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Food for thought:

The Only Access HTTP could actually speed up the filtering process. PWB will check access in memory and block the navigation request if it is not to a web server (HTTP:) before parsing the filter file. A request to another resouce such as FILE: will be blocked before parsing. Therefore PWB does not need to parse the file and it will speed things along.

PWB v2.06 includes an Only Access Internet setting. This setting allows access to HTTP(s), Telnet, and FTP, resources.

--Scott

GregP
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by GregP »

Completely unrelated to PWB, but Windows also has a policy setting "NoFileURL" you can set per user, so that windows won't allow PWB to look at any drives.

Greg