Gahh! Local PWB executable with INI on server.

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

-cman-
Observer
Observer

Gahh! Local PWB executable with INI on server.

Post by -cman- »

Can't get this to work. Running the PWB executable from shared directory has been tested as not workable given our server and network situation (horrible performance). So, we want to run with local EXE file and pull the INI from the share, which is on a Novell server.

Neither SET PWB nor shortcut command line hacks work. It still defaults to the INI file in Program Files/Public Web Browser. If I throw away that INI file it says it can't find the INI.

The path specified in the command line argument of the shortcut is:
"C:\Program Files\Public Web Browser v2" /INI="\\csplnw\sys\patrnpub\pwb-cfg\pwb.ini

Note carefully the quotes. It tells me this is not valid. (Yes, the UNC path is correct. It is similarly not valid with trailing quotes after ...pwb.ini

Using Set PWB doesn't seem to to anything. Clicking either the shortcut or the exe file in Prog Files yields the INI file not found error.

Broadcasting at 500,000 Watts -- Radio WTF is on the air!
Edit: Windows 2000 SP3. IE 6
"Being Irish, he possessed an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through brief episodes of joy."
- W. B. Yeats

My Public PGP Key

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

"C:\Program Files\Public Web Browser v2" /INI="\\csplnw\sys\patrnpub\pwb-cfg\pwb.ini

If this is the command line you are missing one very important piece of it, namely the EXE. Plus there is a missing trailing quote on the UNC path. Try this...

"C:\Program Files\Public Web Browser v2\PWB.exe" /INI="\\csplnw\sys\patrnpub\pwb-cfg\pwb.ini"

--Scott

-cman-
Observer
Observer

Post by -cman- »

Scott wrote:Try this...

"C:\Program Files\Public Web Browser v2\PWB.exe" /INI="\\csplnw\sys\patrnpub\pwb-cfg\pwb.ini"

--Scott
Apologies Scott, there was a typo in my original post. Naturally the EXE file was in the path. What was missing was the trailing quotes after the PWB.exe.

The manual is not exactly crystal clear on the subject, using just shortcut language to wit: PWB /INI-"\\server\share\folder\other.ini

With no trailing quotes after the INI file reference. You might want to clear that up to aid other command line idiots like me. :D

Thanks a lot.
"Being Irish, he possessed an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through brief episodes of joy."
- W. B. Yeats

My Public PGP Key

Change in 2.04?

Post by Guest »

This is weird - I tried this with 2.04 and I was required to add a third backslash before the server name so that my command line appeared as:

"C:\Program Files\PublicBrowser\PublicBrowser.exe" /INI"\\\server\shared\pwb\PWB.ini"

Using backslashes gave me an error.

Also, the missing quote in the documentation referenced above is still in the 2.04 version of the documentation. I haven't checked in the latest release.

Post by Guest »

Oops - meant to say that using two backslashes gave me the error message.
:lol:

rholt

syntax

Post by rholt »

Does this command go on the commandlinehomepage= line of the .ini file?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The command line goes in the Target line of the shortcut to PWB.

--Scott

hitchingsm
Participant
Participant

PWB.ini from the Server

Post by hitchingsm »

The target is grayed out in my shortcut, how can I get the path in there?
Thanks,

Maria

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

SetPWB only sets PWB as the default browser and/or the Windows shell. The problem is in your command line.
It should read as follows

"C:\Program Files\Public Web Browser v2\PWB.EXE" /INI=\\csplnw\sys\patrnpub\pwb-cfg\pwb.ini

--Scott

hitchingsm
Participant
Participant

Post by hitchingsm »

I do understand (or feel I do) the path, but it needs to go in the Target line of the shortcut,
My question;
How do I get the path in the Target line, the line is Grayed Out, I can not type in there, it does not work to put it in the start here line.
thanks,

Maria

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

When an application installs a Shortcut on the Start Menu in Windows 2K\XP through the Windows installer, the Shortcut Target line is disabled.

Go to the PWB folder and create a new Shortcut to the PWB EXE file. Copy this new Shortcut to the All User Start Menu over the original Shortcut. Now you should be able to change the Target line in the Shortcut.

--Scott

hitchingsm
Participant
Participant

Post by hitchingsm »

I am having a hard time with this, I have tried to run the .ini from the server and keep getting an error, I shared the PWB folder (everyone full control), but not the C drive on the server, My target line in the shortcut is "C:\Program Files\TeamSoftware Solutions\Public Web Browser v2\PWB.exe" /ini="http:\\10.7.23.5\C:\ipac2.1\pwb\pac\pwb.ini"
I know I have a space between the PWB.exe and /INI becouse the path would not go in without it.
I have tried to remove the quotes, add a 3rd slash after http:, removed http:, turnrd the slashes the other way, even put the file on another server where I shared the C: drive, it just does not like my path, any ides what I am doing wrong?
the error in thet the ini file "http:.... can not be found or unable to read configuration from registry.
I have an url.txt on the local machine, but I do not get errors from it.
Thanks,
Maria

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

"http:\\10.7.23.5\C:\ipac2.1\pwb\pac\pwb.ini"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't put foreward slashes and drive letters in an HTTP URL request... then you'd have to use the file/// delimiter. If the 10.7.23.5 points to a web server, then the rest of the URL has to point to dorectories starting in the root folder. Try eliminating the "C:/" and backslashes so you end up with:

"http://10.7.23.5/ipac2.1/pwb/pac/pwb.ini"

If you want to use a UNC network path, then I believe it would be:

"\\10.7.23.5\{name of share}\ipac2.1\pwb\pac\pwb.ini"

Replace {name of share} with the shared folder name. If you are sharing the C drive, it might be C$.

hitchingsm
Participant
Participant

Post by hitchingsm »

I do not seam to have any luck getting this to work, I shared the second file in, not the C drive, it only has the hidden admin share, could that be my problem? I do not want to share the C drive.
I tried both the suggestions from spragers, thanks, and was looking at the registry as outlined in the read me file, I was a little chicken to try that on my system so I am loading a system I can test that on. I would appreciate any help I could get.
Thanks,
Maria

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

To run the INI from a network share, the network has to share the folder and the user that is logging onto Windows has to have access to the share. Normally the when you map a network drive you assign the path to the drive letter. You still do this with PWB. For example lets say there is a network share called "library" on the server "libsrv01" and on this share there is a folder called PWB that contains the INI files. You then used My Computer to map to the network share and assigned in to drive letter "L". The command line would be similar to this.

C:\Path to PWB\PWB.EXE /INI=L:\PWB\Other.INI

Instead of mapping the drive "L" to "\\libsrv01\library", you can use the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path to have PWB get the file directly. The command line would be like this.

C:\Path to PWB\PWB.EXE /INI=\\libsrv01\library\PWB\Other.INI

You should be able to see how they relate.

This is not the same as downloading the INI from a web server. PWB v2.07 has the ability to download the INI file from a web server. If you want instructions on this please let me know. However downloading an INI from a web server can cause a slow start for PWB as it downloads the INI file.

--Scott