Errors in Yahoo

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

NBPLtom
Observer
Observer

Errors in Yahoo

Post by NBPLtom »

When saving a draft or sending an e-mail message using Yahoo Mail, our Public Browsers are crashing (and the e-mail is lost, prompting our customers to go ballistic). The following error pops up: "PWB Invalid page fault".

Any ideas what might be causing this error? I can't find any answers in the forums :cry:

We're using the latest PWB with IE 6.0.2800.1106 on a Windows 98 machine.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The Yahoo mail and saving of drafts seems to work on our test systems. Please send a copy of your INI file to.

Support@TeamSoftwareSolutions.com

--Scott

lkleckner

Yahoo...

Post by lkleckner »

I also am having problems with Yahoo and PWB, I thought that upgrading to 2.03 R1 might correct it, but I just saw it this morning.

PWB caused an Invalid Page Fault in module MSHTML.DLL at
017f 70c3316a

It is not consistant with my users/tests, sometimes it works fine, and others you get the error, it seems to crop up more if sending attachments.
I am using win98SE, IE 55, PWB 2.03R-1

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Are you using the PWB restricted save?

--Scott

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

Hi,

using the latest release of PWB along with the restricted save options enabled, and IE 6.x. Just tried saving a draft and sending a message in Yahoo mail and had no problems.

Is this happening all the time or just randomly?

lkleckner

Post by lkleckner »

In my case it is not consistant :(
It occurs on saving draft, or sending with an attachment.

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

Wish I could offer better advice, but I can't duplicate your problem it seems. Maybe it's a problem in your INI file? Anything "unusual" that you have set or are blocking?

cmegal
Observer
Observer

inconsistent on the same machine?

Post by cmegal »

If it's inconsistent on different machines, maybe some adware or spyware was installed on the machine causing the error? Just an idea. If it's inconsistent on the same machine, keep talking to Scott :)

-Corey

lkleckner

Post by lkleckner »

It is inconsistant on the same machine...(machines)

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

Maybe I spoke too soon... just finished rolling out PWB2 and after one day trouble free, this mornign we had two patrons complaining that PWB was "quitting" at certain email sites, once at an e-greeting site, but gave no inrformation as to error messages etc. Another said that it just simply closed on them several times and they had to restart it. I have yet to crash PWB on my test system no matter what I've thrown at it though.

We'll see if the new beta release takes care of these small problems. A few small bugs is a small price to pay, and after all, patrons _do_ make good product testers... :)

NBPLtom
Observer
Observer

Post by NBPLtom »

spragers wrote:We'll see if the new beta release takes care of these small problems.
Any update on this issue? Does the newest beta appear to wipe the problem away?

The error does not appear to be related to spyware, since we tested a freshly configured system with DeepFreeze & Fortess security products in many different configurations. During setup of the "fresh" system I did not visit any sites that would have installed spyware or hidden apps...

Here is a copy of the original e-mail I sent:

In the "Compose an e-mail" page, when you click on the "spell checker" link you crash PWB with this error:

PWB caused an invalid page fault in
module MSHTML.DLL at 0177:6358e806.
Registers:
EAX=01232dd8 CS=0177 EIP=6358e806 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=00000001 SS=017f ESP=006cf690 EBP=006cf6d0
ECX=00000570 DS=017f ESI=02b9b420 FS=461f
EDX=ffffffff ES=017f EDI=02b9b420 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
ff 51 08 eb f5 90 00 00 56 8b f1 8b 06 85 c0 75
Stack dump:
01232dd8 635d6996 01232dd8 02b9b320 635d69b6 00000000 02b57970 02b9b320 63611557 02b57860 63629050 00000001 02b87370 02b87a40 02b57970 02b56c60

The link works correctly in IE, but PWB always crashes (even with one or both security systems turned off, and even using the default PWB ini file). Another link that seems to crash the browser is the text color selector in Yahoo. I'm not sure what other sites do this, but since the majority of our customers use Yahoo... we heard about this one first.

tloga@mppl.org

yahoo mail problems

Post by tloga@mppl.org »

We also are experiencing some trouble in Yahoo mail. Although it may be a different problem since it does not happen real often -- but it does produce the same error. I was able to find out what a patron was doing -- and was able to duplicate it!

Here is what is done:
-- Select a message to forward
-- Insert an address from your address book
-- SEND the message

You get an invalid page fault on MSHTML.DLL.
Note: You only get this on our Win98 machines.
I didn't get the error on our XP machines.

If you type an address directly into the TO field instead of selecting from your address book, the message forwards without a problem.

Hope this helps :)
-- and I hope it can be fixed.

sjewkes
Observer
Observer

This needs to be looked at further.

Post by sjewkes »

We are getting patron complaints when they try to send an email. It is also coming in sparratic and I cannot duplicate the error consistently. Here is what I know:

It happens on more than one email site, Yahoo, Hotmail, AT&T etc.
When attachments are used, addresses from an adress book are used or using the reply feature, the error will happen but not consistently. If patrons just type in the email address and type in plain text to the body, it seems fine.

Im wondering if it is a chain of events that causes it or if these email sites are doing something with address books or attachments that PWB doesnt know how to handle.

Our error message is simply PWB.EXE has encountered an error and will be closed by Windows. We are on PWB v2.3 and use Widows98 SP2.

Please let us know Scott.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

There seems to be a problem with the MSHTML.DLL that is installed on Windows 98 systems as we do not see this problem on Windows NT/2K/XP systems. We are working on the problem.

Please post as much system information as possible so we can continue to narrow down the problem, including Windows, IE, and PWB versions.

--Scott

NBPLtom
Observer
Observer

Post by NBPLtom »

Scott wrote:There seems to be a problem with the MSHTML.DLL that is installed on Windows 98 systems...
Scott, you are one sharp guy! I didn't even consider the Windows DLL. Good call & thanks for all your help so far :D Public Browser is a great product :!: