PWB only runs when logged in as an administrator

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

JoeI
Observer
Observer

PWB only runs when logged in as an administrator

Post by JoeI »

When I try running pwb 2.10 under an account with standard user rights, the pwb installer startsup and fails. How do I get around this without giving the account admin rights? I have installed this on Windows XP before and have never had this issue.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

When you installed PWB, did you install it for "Everyone" or "Just me"?

You should uninstall PWB, and install it choosing to install it for "Everyone" on the second page of the installation.

--Scott

JoeI
Observer
Observer

Post by JoeI »

I installed it for everyone. I installed it for everyone. When I tried to launch it from the user account, the windows installer strted up again and failed. I got around the issue by giving the account admin rights and taking them away after installation, but I don't think that was a real solution.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I will look into it a bit further.

Was this an install for PWb v2.09 or v2.10?

--Scott

JoeI
Observer
Observer

Post by JoeI »

Both. It was 2.09 first, but when that didn't work, I went back to the original image and tried with 2.10. If it helps, the system had Windows Patched and McAfee Virus Scan. Nothing else.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Thank you for the input. I will get it tested and fixed ASAP.

--Scott

fmltech
Spectator
Spectator

PWB install issues

Post by fmltech »

I have noticed this as well.. with some variation

When I install on the administrator account, it doesn't work on any other account, whether the account is an administrator account or a limited account. If I want PWB to work with both user accounts, I have to install separately on both accounts.

Also, when I upgraded previous versions in the past, I never had to change the desktop shortcut, but now with 2.09 I have to delete the icon and make a new one.

Thanks.

Lee Ann

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Delete the Shortcut in the Start Menu that is created when PWB was installed. Then create a new Shortcut directly to the PWB.EXE file and place it on the Start Menu.

It is a quirk of the Microsoft Installer. We are looking into a way around this.

--Scott

JohnE
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JohnE »

I had this same problem.
Running XP SP2, had the .msi file on a network share.
It would run fine in the admin profile but fail on any other profile (and I did choose "for everyone").
I would give admin rights to the profile I wanted it to run in and it would ask for the .msi file. Since this profile can't access the network share I placed the .msi file in a temp file on the c: drive, this would give me an error saying there was no .msi file in the folder.
This also happened when I had the .msi file on a flash drive.
It finally worked when I placed the .msi file on a floppy.

So what I found that worked was to create a floppy with the .msi file, install from that, set the profile to admin, run PWB in that profile (with the floppy in the drive) and it would install no problem.

My concerns are:
PWB will only recognize the .msi file from the A: drive, and no where else.
The need to set the profile to admin to get PWB to run.

The first is minimal as it requires just an alternative method than usually used, though I do need to give notice to all my fellow employees about the change.
The second is more serious as it adds more work and the possibility of security risk if the profile is not removed as admin.

All that said, as a new poster here, I think PWB is great!