Proxy Problem

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Proxy Problem

Post by jfrasier »

We are using PWB 2.09. I have used the default settings for the [Proxy] section of the .ini. We use a reservation system that checks for the age of the user and if they are young it redirects them to a proxy where our filtering software is. The public computers in use now do this fine.

However I am configuring a new computer and even when I make SURE that I am logging in as a child, the filter is not working. If I go into IE first and use Tools | Options and set the proxy manually and then close it and run PWB the filtering works. But if I go back and uncheck the proxy in IE settings and run PWB it does not work.

Any ideas?

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Did you set use custom and proxy enable to true in your INI file?

[Proxy]
UseCustom=True
ProxyEnable=True
ProxyServer=....
ProxyOverride=
AutoConfigURL=

I know it is kind of redundant but it helps PWB maintain efficiency.

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

I didn't think I would need to but I just tried with the same results -- It is not going to the proxy.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

What do you have in your proxy section of your INI file?

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

I have tried this:

[Proxy]
UseCustom=TRUE
ProxyEnable=TRUE
ProxyServer=
ProxyOverride=
AutoConfigURL=

Usually I just use False, False and our reservation software which governs the menu, sets the proxy if the users selects Filtered or if it is someone under 17.

I have another problem which is also very perplexing. When they select PWB from the menu it takes almost 50 seconds to start on this new computer that I am working on. I put the image of this computer onto an identical computer, plugged it into a different jack and I had the same problem. I have disabled the virusscan. I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing the slowdown.

Our existing computers in the libraries are working fine so the reservation server is ok.

Help!

Jane

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

About the slowness -- It is setup to run the program locally but get the .ini from another computer. Then the .ini says to use a shellbar folder on that same computer rather than the client. When I totally use files on the c:\ it opens fast but when some of it has to go across the network it is slow.

The thing that is confusing is why has/is this working fine in 99% of the cases? I have some computers at one location that have this problem but it the other computer with the .ini and shellbar is rebooting, it works fine for awhile.

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

I am continuing to try different things and even with all files coming from the hard drive it is slow most of the time. :(

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

If you do not set a proxy server in the proxy settings, the proxy server will not be used.
I have tried this:

[Proxy]
UseCustom=TRUE
ProxyEnable=TRUE
ProxyServer=
ProxyOverride=
AutoConfigURL=
You should having something like this...

[Proxy]
UseCustom=TRUE
ProxyEnable=TRUE
ProxyServer= your.proxy.server
ProxyOverride=
AutoConfigURL=

--Scott

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

The slowness is probably caused by the shortcuts in the Shellbar folder resolving to the remote computer and not the local computer. This can be tested by removing one shortcut at a time until it opens faster.

Check the properties and permissions on the shortcuts to make sure they are pointing to the local files and not the remote files.

--Scott

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

On the proxy issue -- the computer is being directed to the proxy by reservation software. When the patron puts in their library card number, that software checks our ILS database to see if they are 17 or older. If not, then they are directed to go through the proxy server. Or the patron can choose to be filtered and then they are sent to the proxy server.

jfrasier
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by jfrasier »

You are a genius.

I installed Reader 8.1 on the computers that were having trouble and the "Start in" field should have been blank.

Oddly enough, the filtering problem seems to be gone as well. Maybe it got stuck trying to resolve that shortcut and was too busy to read the configuration from the reservation software that said for it to go through the proxy.

Thanks so much. We have been struggling with this for a few days now.

Jane

:D