For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

sraymond
Contributor
Contributor

PWB in startup

Post by sraymond »

hello!
PWB has been working so fine for us for so long, that I fear I have forgotten something totally obvious. Perhaps someone can put me back on the road to righteousness.
We have 2 identical PCs upon which we only allow access to our catalog and subscription databases. PWB is running on an ini file copied from 1 to the other. At 1st, the problem we had was, CAT2 would open PWB but be unable to successfully reach the homepage, but if you hit "home", then it would go to our homepage. I just recopied the ini file over, and now PWB will no longer open on startup, and if one clicks on the only available desktop icon, one gets brought to the right spot. So I am guessing that the problem lies in the way I put the exe file in the startup, though when I compare the two startup pages side by side, they are identical. Anyone care to give me a whack on the side of the head? appreciatively, -smr
-smray

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

How is PWB being started?

If it is being started from the Start button Startup folder, did you copy the Shortcut from one coputer to the other?

--Scott

sraymond
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sraymond »

Hi Scott!
Yes, it's being started in the start up folder.
I did the following:
made the public user an administrator (these are xps)
logged on as public
went to Control panel/startup/classic/customize
browsed to C:\PWB\pwb.exe
and placed the shortcut in the startup folder. I have the two machines side by side and verified that the set was identical.
thoughts? thanks! -smr
-smray

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Use Windows Explorer to open the C:\ drive. Right click on the C:\PWB folder and choose Copy. Right click in the C:\ drive and choose paste. This will copy the PWB folder into the C:\ drive with the name Copy of PWB, but more importantly it will copy the folder with the default permission for the C:\ which should give All Users access to the files to eliminate and problems with permissions. Delete the C:\PWB folder, and rename the Copy of PWB to PWB.

Use Windows Explorer, open the C:\PWB folder, right click on the PWB executable file and choose Create Shortcut. This will create a shortcut in the PWB folder. After naming the Shortcut right click on it and choose Copy. Use Windows Explorer to open C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, right click in this folder and choose Copy. This should copy the Shortcut you just made into the Startup folder. Delete the other Shortcut.

Doing these two things should correct any problems with the Shortcut, and any problems with Permissions in the PWB folder.

--Scott