config files on server, ghost, and w2k w/ and w/out domain

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us

config files on server, ghost, and w2k w/ and w/out domain

Post by josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us »

I am trying to minimize my workload by managing PWB centrally on a server. I have a domain, but I have no idea if it makes sense to place machines running PWB in the domain. I have numerous options from running PWB from the server to running PWB from the machines with the configuration files on the server to simply keeping copies of configuration files on the server and copying them over to the machines.

I am ghosting these machines. If they aren't part of the domain I don't think I need to run Ghostwalker to change the SIDs. I don't seem to be able to get the permissions right for a machine to access the .ini on a server? I do need to maintain multiple .ini files and I would like to be able to rapidly move machines from one to another. I also use kiosk mode and prefer to have the machines completely locked down, so all that run is PWB.

Just wondering if anyone has worked out the detail doing something similar. For now I just keep an image out there copy over the right .ini files and then after I've ghosted the image to a new machine configure the machine to use PWB as a shell. But I'm looking for a better way.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

If you are running PWB from a server in the domain, the computers will need to be in the domain that need to run PWB so they can reach the network share.

Have you looked at a thin client solution? We are running PWB on thin clients from terminal server. One location to maintain, and I rarely need to go into the field to fix the thin clients.

--Scott

chrism
Participant
Participant

Post by chrism »

I run PWB off a server to many machines in a Win2K domain, and I use Ghost to clone updates across the machines as well. PWB and my 8 .ini files run off the server, as do my desktops with shortcuts, so I don't need to clone or reconfigure any machine to update PWB or create a new configuration--everything is on the server.

If your network is Win2K, I recommend adding your workstations to the domain simply to take advantage of Active Directory and Group Policies. With just GPs and various PWB .ini files, I run PAC kiosks, adult Internets, and several specialized configurations.

As for SID changes and Ghosting, I prefer to use NewSID.exe from SysInternals, http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/newsid.shtml . Simply remove the source PC from the domain before ghosting the image, and run NewSID before adding the clone PC to the domain.

There is lots of expertise regarding Ghost and PWB on the Web4Lib mailing list and archives, http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib , and the LIBNT-L mailing list and archives, http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/libnt-l.html .

Best regards,

Chris

Josh
Observer
Observer

Still confused

Post by Josh »

between running PWB on a server and running PWB on an individual machine. What needs to be installed on the client? What is the load on the Server? Can I still configure autologon and PWB as a shell? How much noise do I add to my network? Is there a good way to test? How do I configure the PWB user and user profile within the domain? What happens if the server goes down?