Windows task bar reappearing in Kiosk mode

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

mstoffan
Observer
Observer

Windows task bar reappearing in Kiosk mode

Post by mstoffan »

We have an urgent security issue we need to resolve quickly. We run a print management program that generates a popup window into which the user enters a file name. Since upgrading to PWB 2, the Windows task bar reappears whenever the popup window is generated.

This is a major security issue, as the user can access anything once the Start menu appears. We have had users starting IE and other applications.

We have also noticed that the task bar occasionally stays visible for some time after the machine is rebooted. We have set the INI file to Kiosk mode=True and things otherwise work fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

Cheap fix: shrink the taskbars (click and drag so they are flat), that will help hide them but not prevent access.

Better fix: use a program like Fortres that disables the start button among many other features (that's what we use here with great results).

Also, even if PWB is in Kiosk mode, can't a user simply press the "start" key on the keyboard and access the start menu?

(On our game computer, a generous amateur programmer gave us a small VB program that actually removes the task bar completely - no bar, no start button, to system tray :D only problem is in shutting it down - C-A-D is also disabled, so I had to make an invisible icon on the desktop that runs a shutdown program. It works though :) )

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

You can also run PWB as the Windows shell. No Start Menu, No Desktop, just PWB.

Did you know, PWB can shut down the computer through the overrides.

--Scott

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

(Scott - we don't run PWB on the game computer, but thanks for reminding me 8) )

Philip - Long Beach NY
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Philip - Long Beach NY »

Spragers,
I love you but I'd rather set myself on fire and put it out with a brick than use Fortres. *SHUDDERS* remembering those nightmares OMG..............

Mark, if you're not squeamish about using the registry editor, you can disable the task manager altogether (this tweak also disables the C-S-Escape keys). Using ManageIE from PWB's website downloads also takes care of anyone trying to open IE.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/163/

Unfortunately this tweak works only for NT/2000/XP.

Hope this helps

Philip
Complexity is the enemy of security
-- Steve Gibson

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

What's worse than Fortres?

WinSelect...
Netscape...

That's what was in place for security before I started my current job. We now run a combo of PWB / Fortres / DriveShield and a bunch of reg hacking.

We have to play by the rules of our system resource library (for the most part ;) )